The CMS Anglican Church is considered an icon of endurance, humanity, and goodwill. This notion is not self-proclaimed as history speaks a reasonable sum on its existence and selfless functioning. The roots of the institution run deep and strong alike the desire to build a progressive society. The missionaries from England had set up the Church Mission Society (CMS) way back in the 18th century (1818).
According to the information derived from the CMS archive, from 1868 to a decade-long the mission activities were initiated and managed from Kottayam, Kerala. The CMS Kottayam Diocese was officially constituted in the year 1878 and, for the following six and half decades (1879-1944) the institution had five Bishops from England as its heads. During the period the Church Mission Society gained considerable momentum and popularity. Around 1945 when the freedom movement was at its peak, the missionaries moved back to England after handing over the reins of authority to the Indian Bishop CK Jacob. He then judiciously performed the role of the leader upholding the vision and values successfully through to the next stage.
May 1966 saw the new dawn, a new leaf in the history of the CMS. The Church Mission Society transformed into “The CMS Anglican Church - Travancore & Cochin Diocese” under the leadership of Rt. Rev. V.J. Stephen. Since then many new initiatives were introduced for the betterment of humanity, especially for the economically weaker sections. Currently Rt. Rev. David Lukose Varakukalayil heads the institution. Under his dynamic leadership, the body has continued to evolve and achieve newer milestones.
In 1945 the missionaries moved back to England after handing over the reins of authority to the Indian Bishop. Bishop C.K. Jacob
The Church Mission Society transformed into “The CMS Anglican Church - Travancore & Cochin Diocese” In 1966. Institution heads since then